How to Build a Killer Wardrobe

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How to Build a Killer Wardrobe

Too much is never enough. I have rows and rows of clothes, yet still, I have nothing to wear. Don't blame me, blame the glossy magazines I scour every month, the online magazines, the designer discount sales with prices so low you would be a fool not to buy. I can't help it, fashion obsession runs in my blood just as much as writing does. I help people get ready. I am the one my family members call when it's time to plan outfits. Getting dressed is just that, but getting dressed is an art form. It requires extreme care, diligence, intellect, and patience. I think about my outfits as much as I think about banging out my novels. I perpetuate in my mind just how many heads I will turn when I hit the avenue. Every woman wants to be remembered. Those that don't may be experiencing some anti-cornucopia breakdown. They don't get it. They insist on scouring the marts of the world in search of shoulder pads, spandex, and polyester remnants. No. Looks should be put together. Building a killer wardrobe is simple.

Here's how:
  • Do a T&K (toss and keep). Get rid of everything you know darn well you will never wear again. And no your sister doesn't want it.
  • Buy for your size not your fantasy. Buy clothes that fit. If and when you lose (or gain) that weight, you'll have a reason to go shopping again.
  • Use color. I love color. And with color, you can make a statement or say nothing at all. My signature color is chocolate brown (hence the "Chocolate" in Chocolate Fashion Blog), so I pair it with red, gray (yes gray), navy, white, or camel. Find a color that you love and use it in your wardrobe to create your signature look. For a long time I used brown because I wouldn't be caught without one of my Louis Vuitton handbags. It's all about having fun with color.
  • Mix and match. I enjoy matching, but it's not an absolute must. Mixing is all about taking things and giving them a new twist. Mix and match with flavor; choose pieces carefully but have fun with your look. And vow never to mix a Cheetah print with Leopard.
  • Accessorize properly. Have a love affair with shoes, belts, jewelry, and handbags. Make them work for you, not the other way around. You never want to look as though you are trying too hard.
  • Always buy the best shoes you can afford. Shoes are an accessory but they can also make or break an outfit. If you're in a killer dress with runover shoes, no one cares about the dress. All they are going to remember is how bad your shoes were. If you can't do designer, go for brands like 9 West, Enzo Angiolini, or Aldo.
  • Try trends, but do not become a slave to them. Trends are fun but like the latest cell phone, they come and go (unless it's Ugg boots). It's great to take a trend or two and add them to your look, but if you're head to toe trendy, pretend you're an employee of an airline on third-shift and lose them like baggage.
  • Always have the basics: a dark (preferably black) lean suit; a pencil skirt, a white shirt, a great pair of jeans, a little black dress, a shift dress, cashmere cardigans, white tees, trousers, white jeasn, a Boulé jacket, a trench coat, a camel overcoat and a sexy tuxedo for evenings when the LBD won't do.
  • Find a fashion role model. This is someone whose style you admire. Halle Berry is my fashion role model. She's always classy and dresses down appropriately.
When in doubt, just say no. Fashion is one thing, style is quite another. You can become fashionably stylish by following these few simple tricks.
The Basics

Comments

No response to “How to Build a Killer Wardrobe”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
The Chocolate Fashion Blog (TM). Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger