How to Bargain Hunt on the Web...And a Few Other Places

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I would like to thank all my grandma Rosie, fashion magazines, my stylist friend ETS (who shall remain anonymous at the moment), and my Leo rising. I seem to have developed a list and keen sense for hardly every paying full price for anything. Thanks to the inside track with a variety of designer discount member only websites such as RueLaLa, Ideeli, Gilt, HauteLook, and TopSecret, I can find designer items at a fraction of the cost. For example, the La Perla "Song" bra which retails for $289, is selling for $79 on RueLaLa. HauteLook.com has the Chaiken "Audrey" dress selling for $90 compared to $198 retail. With a little more than half off, you can't lose. Stores like Target (nee Tarjaay) sell merchandise that is often quite similar to the designer duds. I found a dress at there for $22.99 and ran into a woman in Bellacures nail salon who paid five times that much from some designer boutique. Other than the belt loops, you could hardly tell them apart! Now don't get me wrong, I love designer clothes, but I am not a slave to them. If I can find something similar at a cheaper price, best believe I will snatch it up. My stylist friend ETS has the inside track on a top secret warehouse that sells designer merchandise for 15% of the retail price. Hello?? Can somebody say HUGE DISCOUNT!? So basically if the retail price of a Donna Karan dress is $500, you would only pay $75! Can you imagine? But yes, there is a $200 spending minimum, but at those prices, you can make yourself find stuff.

Sometimes, spending a little more money is worth it. Places like Off Fifth and Last Call, Saks and Neiman Marcus discount little sister stores respectively, offer a pretty good selection of clothes and accessories. The key is finding the jewels and ignoring the junk. Don't be fooled by people who say if it's not designer they won't wear it. Some designers make stuff I wouldn't burn in my fireplace, let alone wear. Pairing one designer item with a lesser known item is tres chic. Taking cues from those "Housewives of Fantasy Land" who think just because something is expensive it should be worn, I choose my clothing carefully. Loehmann's in Los Angeles is one of my favorite bargain places to shop. They also have discounts for their "card" holders. (See a sales clerk for details.) I get all my jeans there, and usually some that are very unique and durable for under $50. Their handbag, jewelry, and lingerie sections are great. I have yet to find a pair of shoes there that I like, but the mediocre selection doesn't keep me from going back and hoping.



Online I also frequent shops like Bluefly, Eluxury, and smart Bargains. The latter is not as exciting as the first two but every once in a while you find items that are nice and too good to pass up. I recommend trying to obtain a membership to the exclusive members only site though (send me a direct message for an invite from me), as they tend to have the BEST merchandise anywhere. (Be sure to check return/refund policies prior to buying just in case something doesn't fit.) As with any discounted item, be sure to check for flaws. Online most of the deals are overstock merchandise and perfectly fine. In stores you may find more irregular items, but if you have a tailor on speed dial, alterations should be a snap!

Recession or not, some of us are still breaking the bank to look good. Invest in key pieces and buy multiple items in bulk if you fall in love with the item. You can find some great designer discounts online and at retail stores if you don't mind a little research!


©2009
(Photo by Ariel Skelley)

Comments

No response to “How to Bargain Hunt on the Web...And a Few Other Places”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
The Chocolate Fashion Blog (TM). Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger